Root Vegetable Mash with Coriander
- 2 medium (1/2 lb/250 g) russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 large (1/2 lb/250 g) sweet potato, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 large (1/2 lb/250 g) parsnip, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 large (1/2 lb/250 g) turnip, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 Tbsp canola oil mL
- 2 Tbsp coriander seeds 30 mL
- 4 dried red chiles (like chile de arbol), stems discarded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro 60 mL
- 1/2 tsp coarse kosher or sea salt 2 mL
- 1. In large saucepan filled halfway with water, add potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips and turnip. Bring water to boil and then lower heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until vegetables are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain vegetables. Transfer them to medium bowl and coarsely mash. Cover mashed vegetables to keep warm.
- 2. While vegetables cook, in small skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add coriander and chiles and stir-fry until coriander seeds are reddish brown and chiles are blackened, about 1 minute. Turn off heat. Using slotted spoon, transfer chiles and coriander to mortar. Reserve spiced oil. Grind chilies and coriander with pestle, scraping spice blend into center with spatula until it has consistency of finely ground black pepper.
- 3. Once vegetables are smashed, add reserved spiced oil into vegetables along with ground spice blend, cilantro and salt. Stir well to combine and serve warm.
1/2 cup (125 mL)
|Gras saturés||0 g|
Chili Roasted Root Vegetables
Roasting vegetables in a little canola oil brings out new depths of flavor.
Roasted Root Vegetable and Winter Squash Salad
Sturdy root veggies and winter squash are an easy combination because they have a similar density and cook in the same amount of time. Roasting imparts a smoky-sweet flavor that makes these veggies delicious warm or cold. Canola oil’s high heat tolerance is ideal for oven roasting.
Roasted Winter Veggies and Tri-Colored Potatoes
Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best and roasted vegetables provide pure comfort that is hard to beat. Here we use tri-colored potatoes with the purple potatoes adding an extra antioxidant punch. Canola oil’s high heat tolerance is a great match for oven roasting.