Beef and Mushroom Soup
- 1 lb (454 g) extra lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 2 pkg (8 oz/227 g each) sliced mushrooms
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning 15 mL
- 1 tsp chili powder 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes 1 mL
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 15 mL
- 6 cups reduced sodium or no-salt beef broth 1.5 L
- 2 cups diced squash 500 mL
- 1 pkg (5 oz/142 g) baby spinach, chopped
- 1. In soup pot, brown beef over medium-high heat. Into colander, scrape meat and drain; set aside.
- 2. Return same pot to medium heat and add oil. Add mushrooms, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and hot pepper flakes and cook, stirring for about 15 minutes or until softened. Add beef and Worcestershire sauce; stir to combine.
- 3. Pour in broth and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Uncover and stir in spinach; cook for 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- 4. Ladle into deep bowls to serve.
1 cup (250 mL)
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Curried Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew
This stew is perfect year-round, although it's most appreciated on a cold winter night!
French Onion Soup
A perfect starter to serve at your next dinner party! Caramelize the onions first-they are more tender this way!