Saskatoon Berry Pie
- 3 to 4 cups saskatoons 750 mL to 1 L
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice 15 mL
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar 150 mL
- 1/4 cup tapioca or flour 60 mL
- Canola Oil Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups 375 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar 7 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 2 Tbsp cold 1% milk 30 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- Optional Topping
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour 125 mL
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL
- 3 Tbsp canola margarine 45 mL
- 1. Combine Saskatoons, lemon juice, sugar and tapioca in a large bowl. Arrange Saskatoon mixture in unbaked pie shell. Cover with top crust. Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F (220°C), then reduce heat to 350 °F (180 °C) and bake for 35 minutes.
- 2. To make pie crust: Sift together flour, sugar and salt. In a small bowl, beat milk into canola oil with fork until frothy. Form a well in flour mixture. Add canola oil mixture and combine gently with a fork until crumbly. Pat in pie plate as you would for graham wafer crust. Add filling and bake according to filling recipe.
- Optional Topping: Combine flour, sugar and canola margarine. Crumble together until mixture is the size of bread crumbs.
2 shells (9 inches) or 1 pie shell (9 inches) and top (8 slices per shell) and enough filling for one pie
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Third Place Winner of the Be a Star! Be a Winner! with Canola Oil Paralympics Recipe Contest.