Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour 560 mL
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar 45 mL
- 1 Tbsp baking powder 15 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 2 Tbsp milk 30 mL
- 1 (15oz/443 mL) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed (or 1 cup fresh cooked and mashed sweet potatoes)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F(220°C). In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- 2. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, canola oil, milk and mashed sweet potato. With fork, stir together the moist and dry ingredients, just until combined.
- 3. Turn out onto well-floured board and knead once or twice to form a ball. Roll out to 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) thick. Cut into biscuits using a 1 1/2 (3.8 cm) inch cookie cutter. Place biscuits on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Herb Baking Powder Biscuits
Biscuits are traditionally made with a solid fat like butter but theyre even better with canola oil! Replace solid fats with canola oil and youll cut total fats as well as trans and saturated fats.
This recipe celebrates the beginning of summer with all the luscious flavors you expect from this all-time favorite dessert, but in a healthier and easier way. The biscuits are made better-for-you with canola oil instead of butter and half whole-grain flour. They are simple drop biscuits; no rolling or dough-cutting required. And the whipped cream topping is lightened with Greek yogurt for a subtle tanginess that beautifully complements the fresh berries.