Spinach Salad with Seared Bok Choy, Ginger and Cilantro
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 bunch bok choy, rinsed well and chopped (4 cups/1 L)
- 1/3 cup chopped whole green onions 75 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger 5 mL
- 1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce 15 mL
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 mL
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 30 mL
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves 1 L
- 1. In large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add bok choy, green onions, garlic and ginger and cook 2-3 minutes or until bok choy is tender-crisp. Add soy sauce and pepper, stir to coat and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- 2. Arrange spinach leaves on serving platter. Spoon bok choy mixture over spinach and serve.
- Tip: To turn this salad into a complete meal, top it with white, black or pink beans (drained and rinsed), grilled or seared tofu, grilled or roasted chicken breast, or grilled or steamed shrimp.
2/3 cup (150 mL) bok choy mixture, 1 cup (250 mL) spinach
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Barley Salad with Spinach and Strawberries
Sweet, tart strawberries make a delicious addition to a summer salad. If you’re taking this to a party, add nuts just before serving to keep them crunchy.
Layered Spinach and Quinoa Salad
This colorful salad is equally attractive and tasty whether assembled in layers in a clear glass bowl or simply tossed altogether. The combination of yogurt, cheese, vegetables and grains makes for a well-balanced vegetarian meal. Canola oil’s low saturated fat content keeps the dressing free-flowing in the refrigerator.