Red Pepper and Fennel Frittata
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red pepper 375 mL
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fennel 375 mL
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion 175 mL
- 1 tsp fennel seeds 5 mL
- 1 cup peeled, cubed white potatoes 250 mL
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 1% milk 60 mL
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper 2 mL
- 1 cup low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese 250 mL
- 1/2 cup reduced fat crumbled feta cheese 125 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 ºF (200 ºC). Spray 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33 cm) glass baking dish with canola cooking spray and set aside.
- 2. In large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add red peppers, fennel, onion and fennel seeds and sauté 3-4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Remove from heat and stir in potatoes. Evenly spread vegetable mixture in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- 3. In small bowl, whisk eggs with milk and black pepper. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle Cheddar and feta cheese evenly over top. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Tip: Bake and serve in individual ramekins for a personal, elegant touch.
1/2 cup (125 mL)
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
Sweet Sausage, Sweet Pepper Frittata
Frittatas are fun to make, but this one goes beyond the norm. It’s topped with fresh arugula, red onion and a splash of vinaigrette! Preparing the whole dish with canola oil, which has the least saturated fat of all common culinary oils, helps keep it good for you, too.
Kids will love this healthy, fun dish to start the day. It is high in protein and filled with Mexican flavors.
Eggs simmered in a robust tomato-chorizo sauce and served with a crispy tortilla – is there a better breakfast? (Or heck, lunch or dinner!) Canola oil’s neutral flavor lets the spices and other ingredients take center stage. Plus its high heat tolerance is ideal for frying tortillas.