Mini Crab Cakes with Smarter Tartar
- 1 Tbsp canola mayonnaise 15 mL
- 3 Tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt 45 mL
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped dill pickle 15 mL
- 1 tsp drained capers, coarsely chopped 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika 1 mL
- Crab Cakes
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp canola oil mayonnaise 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 15 mL
- 1 lb crab claw meat, picked over for shells and cartilage 500 g
- 1 cup breadcrumbs 250 mL
- 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped 75 mL
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup/60 mL)
- 2 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped 60 mL
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper 0.5 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1. To make sauce: In medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, yogurt, pickle, capers and smoked paprika until well combined. Sauce will keep for up to three days in airtight container in refrigerator.
- 2. To make crab cakes: In medium bowl, whisk together egg, mayonnaise and lemon juice until combined. Add crab meat, 1/2 cup (125 mL) breadcrumbs, celery, scallions, parsley and pepper and stir gently to combine. Put remaining breadcrumbs in shallow dish.
- 3. Using your hands, shape about 2 Tbsp (30 mL) crab mixture into patty about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter. Coat in breadcrumbs, then place on baking sheet or clean work surface. Repeat to form remaining crab cakes for total of 16.
- 4. In large, nonstick skillet, heat one tablespoon (15 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Place eight crab cakes into skillet and cook, turning once, until crisp and browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to serving plate or baking sheet, wipe any crumbs out of skillet and repeat with remaining oil and crab cakes.
- 5. Place about 3/4 tsp (4 mL) sauce on top of each crab cake and serve immediately, or cover cakes and chill for up to one day, then reheat in 350 °F (180 °C) oven for 10-15 minutes.
16 servings (16 crab cakes)
1 crab cake and 1 tsp (5 mL) sauce
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Balsamic Caramelized Onion, Spinach and Goat Cheese Pita Pizzas
Caramelized onions are slow food at its very best and here make a glorious base for these rustic yet elegant pita pizzas topped with creamy goat cheese.
Banana Bread with Chocolate Drizzle
This easy banana bread seems too good to be true. It is incredibly moist, bursting with flavor and luxuriously drizzled with melted chocolate.