Grilled Portobello Loaf with Basil Hummus
- 4 large Portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean with damp cloth
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar 45 mL
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil 60 mL
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard 10 mL
- 1/4 tsp dried pepper flakes 1 mL
- 1/2 can (15 oz/426 mL) no-salt-added navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 oz (1/4 cup/60 mL) chopped pine nuts, toasted 30 g
- 1 Tbsp water 15 mL
- 12 oz whole grain or multigrain Italian loaf bread, halved lengthwise 350 g
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 medium tomatoes (8 oz/250 g total), thinly sliced
- 3 cups baby spinach 750 mL
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions 125 mL
- 1. Place mushrooms on dinner plate. In blender, combine canola oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, mustard and pepper flakes. Secure with lid and pureé until smooth. Brush both sides of mushrooms with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of pureéd mixture. Let stand 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, add beans, pine nuts and water in blender to remaining pureéd mixture in blender. Secure with lid and purée until smooth and set aside. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread (4 oz/125 g) for another use.
- 3. Coat grill pan or grill rack with cooking spray, place over medium high heat until hot. Cook mushrooms 5 minutes on each side or until tender. Place mushrooms on separate plate.
- 4. Coat both sides of bread halves with cooking spray and cook 1 minute on each side or until beginning to lightly brown. (Be careful not to burn bread halves). Place bread on cutting board. On bottom half of loaf, arrange mushrooms, overlapping slightly. Top with tomatoes, baby spinach and onions. Spread puréed mixture evenly on cut side of remaining top half and place on top of all. Cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces.
4 servings (1 loaf)
1/4 slice of loaf
|Gras saturés||2 g|
Wild Rice and Mushroom Pilaf
Health professionals recommend increasing the intake of omega 3 fatty acids from foods such as salmon, trout, walnuts and canola oil.
Creamy Beef, Mushrooms and Noodles
This is a healthier version of beef stroganoff. Canola mayonnaise adds moisture, creaminess, and flavor to the dish without guilt