Three Grain Salad with Goat Cheese
- 4 cups water 1 L
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed and sorted for stones and shriveled lentils 125 mL
- 1/3 cup quick cooking bulgur 75 mL
- 1/3 cup quinoa 75 mL
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking brown rice 75 mL
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion 125 mL
- zest of 2 large lemons
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 45 mL
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1/4 tsp dried pepper flakes 1 mL
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint or Italian parsley 250 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 3 oz hard or semi-soft goat cheese, crumbled 90 g
- 12 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and lentils to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in bulgur, quinoa and rice. Cover and cook for 12-13 minutes, or until lentils are just tender. Drain in a fine mesh sieve. Run under cold water to cool quickly. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine bell pepper, onion, lemon zest and juice, canola oil and pepper flakes. Stir until well blended.
- 3. Stir in drained lentil mixture and mint. Toss gently until well blended. Season with salt. Gently fold in goat cheese and serve on lettuce leaves.
1/2 cup (125 mL) lentil mixture and 1 lettuce leaf
|Gras saturés||2 g|
Quinoa and Browned Onion Salad with Apples
If you've never had browned onions in a salad, this is the time to try it. Sautéed in mild-tasting canola oil, the onions are sweet and nutty and bring out the flavor of the pecans.
Roasted Beet and Tomato Salad
This bright red salad is perfect for a picnic or luncheon. It’s so flavorful with fresh herbs and canola oil’s neutral taste lets those flavors shine.