Parsnip Vichyssoise with Apple Horseradish Oil and Shiitake Chips
- Roasted shiitake chips
- 1/4 cup Shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- Parsnip vichyssoise
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 6 leeks, whites only, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut 1 inch
- 2 qt chicken stock or water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.4 tsp pepper
- 1 + cup heavy cream
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice as needed
- Apple horseradish oil
- 1/2 cup Braeburn apple, finely julienned
- 1 tsp horseradish, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chives, thinly sliced
- 1. For the roasted shiitake chips: Toss the shiitake mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Place in a single layer on a Silpat mat. Cover with a piece of parchment paper and another sheet pan. Bake in a 250 °F (120 °C) oven until golden brown and crisp, approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Set aside for garnish.
- 2. For the parsnip vichyssoise: In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat 3 tablespoons of canola oil. Add the onions, celery, parsnips and garlic and sweat the vegetables on a low flame, covered, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the leeks and cook another 5 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook until dry. Add the potatoes and cover with chicken stock or water. Salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes. When the vegetables are tender, blend until smooth using an immersion blender. Stir in the heavy cream and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- 3. For the apple horseradish oil: Combine the apple, horseradish, and canola oil. Season with salt.
- 4. To serve: Top each hot bowl of soup with a little bit of the apple mixture, lean a shiitake chip on top, and sprinkle with chives.
8 portions as a first course
|Total Fat||35 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
Beef and Mushroom Soup
This hearty, chunky soup is perfect for any cold night and makes enough for lunch leftovers the next day! Or freeze the rest for up to 3 weeks. Lean beef and heart-healthy canola oil help keep saturated fat to a minimum.