Japanese Sesame Slaw
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage, thinly sliced or grated
- 1/2 small head of red cabbage, thinly sliced or grated
- 6 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, white or black, toasted 15 mL
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar 75 mL
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger 5 mL
- 1 tsp sodium-reduced soy sauce 5 mL
- 1 tsp sesame oil 5 mL
- 1. In a large bowl, combine both cabbages, onion, carrot and sesame seeds.
- 2. Prepare dressing by shaking together rice vinegar, canola oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- 3. Pour dressing over salad, toss and refrigerate before serving. Ideally, allow to stand in fridge for an hour or more to allow flavors to mellow. Re-toss before serving.
½ cup (125 mL)
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
Carrot and Cabbage Tinga Tostadas
Celebrate Mexico with the original vegetarian tortilla toasts (tostadas). The vegetables taste better and even are better for you thanks to the benefits of canola oil, which has a mild flavor and helps the body absorb nutrients.
Crispy Tempura Cod over Napa Cabbage Slaw
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America by Chef Instructor Almir Da Fonseca.