Cornmeal Crusted Fish and Zucchini Chips
- Fish & Chips:
- 1 cup 1% buttermilk 250 mL
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 cups cornmeal 500 mL
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp paprika 15 mL
- 1/4 tsp black pepper 1 mL
- 4 fillets white fish (3 oz/90 g each), such as tilapia, snapper or grouper
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced on bias, about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick (24 total slices)
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley 30 mL
- Tartar Sauce:
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat canola oil mayonnaise 60 mL
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley 15 mL
- 1 tsp lemon zest 5 mL
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice 5 mL
- 1 tsp prepared horseradish 5 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C)..
- 2. In shallow bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs. In another shallow bowl, mix together cornmeal, parsley, paprika and pepper.
- 3. Dip fish and zucchini into buttermilk mixture and then coat with cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- 4. Mist breaded fish and zucchini with canola oil cooking spray and place on baking sheet.
- 5. Bake 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- 6. While fish and zucchini are baking, prepare tartar sauce. In small bowl, combine tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with fish and zucchini chips. Garnish dish with sprinkle of chopped, fresh parsley.
3 oz (90 g) fish, 6 zucchini chips and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) tartar sauce
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Beef Ragout with Grilled Bread
This dish can be made in a slow-cooker or the stovetop. Canola oil is used to make both the ragout and grilled bread because of its neutral flavor and heat tolerance. The ragout is served with bread to soak up the hearty and flavorful broth, but it can be served with pasta or polenta instead.
Chicken Parmigiana with Spaghetti Squash
The trick to a crisp but healthy parmigiana is bake-frying. Canola oil is ideal to bake-fry breaded chicken with in a very hot oven because of its high heat tolerance (smoke point 468 °F/242°C). Using spaghetti squash instead of angel hair pasta provides four times fewer calories per cup (174 versus 42 calories).
Skillet Gnocchi with Butternut Squash and Kale Pesto
Hearty, whole grain gnocchi and the superfood kale lay the foundation for this nutrient-rich comfort dish. The winning combination of canola oil and walnuts give the meal two of the best sources of plant-based omega-3 fat available. Healthy convenience foods such as pre-packaged whole grain gnocchi and frozen cubed butternut squash save time in preparing the dish.